Saturday, August 27, 2016

Welcome to The Wandering Goat!

     alright so i’ve been wanting to start a blog for a while and halfway thru this yellowstone adventure i figure if i don’t start now, i probably never will so here goes.. i've got quite a bit of catching up to do so i’ll start off with a quick recap of the year and a half leading up to me moving to yellowstone.
     I was working at ron jon surf shop doing the responsible adult thing, you know, working 40hrs a week, had 2 dogs and an apartment on the beach. My friends were great. Work hard play hard kinda life. then i meet this girl, she’s amazing, we hit it off, fall in love, you know the deal. 6 months later she’s like lets move to hawaii, I’m like duh. so off we go, sell everything, give my dogs to a friend and drive to california, ship my car, and hop on a flight to big island. 
life is good this is amazing. living on a farm 4 miles from the best surf spot ever. Meet amazing people, tons of adventures etc. Then we break up. Im convinced my life is over, typical break up nonsense. I’m on this island in the middle of the ocean and the girl i love told me i gotta go. What now? In comes Mari (best auntie ever) she takes me in for a bit, gets my head straight, pretty much kept me from completely losing it. i apply for jobs on other islands. a surf shop in maui calls, i take the job and move to maui. was only there for a few months before heading back to big island and then eventually back to florida. maui was amazing part of me feels like i left to soon but i know i’ll be back so it’s all good. 

     so i move back to florida, get a job downtown melbourne, move in with a friend. life is good. i have walls and a real shower and a bed (something i didn’t have for months living in hawaii). Fast forward 6 months.. I’m losing my mind! the thing about traveling like i did is that once you do it it’s really freaking hard to live a normal life. i went on a road trip with 2 friends in late may and realized i would much rather live in a van and work and travel. so i get home from the road trip and really ask myself what it is i want to do. I love home, i’ve got a good job, my family and i are closer than ever, my friends are great, but i realize I’m so incredibly unhappy. So i apply for some jobs, figured if i was meant to go i’d get a phone call and if i was meant to stay i wouldn’t hear anything. anyhow 2 days later i get a call from xanterra at yellowstone offering me a job doing the same thing I’m doing in florida, making the same amount of money, only cost of living is cut in half and I’m living in freaking YELLOWSTONE. this was actually a pretty tough decision for me because I’ve finally got this really great relationship going with my dad and grandmother and i didn’t want to upset them by leaving. but the job is only for 2.5 months rather than the open ended kind of move i made to hawaii. So i take the job! they called me on july 14th and i was due to start work on july 28th, so i had a lot to do in a little amount of time. quit my job, said my good byes, packed up my jeep and headed across country for the second time! Best part was that this time it was on my terms. every decision made, place visited, adventure taken was up to me. I’m pumped! also terrified :D 
     by the way, my name is jenn, i love goats, i'm a professional life liver from florida, and when i write i capitalize and punctuate when i feel like it. welcome to my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment