Saturday, August 27, 2016

Filthy 50

Long Exposure of Old Faithful.
     Aug 27. tonight i watched old faithful erupt for the 50th time! i almost skipped out on this one because i was tired from working but I’m so glad i snapped myself out of lazy mode. being on the basin at night is kind of an erie thing. Tonight i was completely alone, something I’ve never experienced out here, theres usually  a few people out taking photos but tonight it was just me. i hear stories about elk, bears, wolves, and coyotes wandering around old faithful at night so to be all alone kind of got to me. i had mixed emotions of fear and excitement. i think being out here and adventuring alone as much as i do is teaching me when to trust my gut and when to chalk it up as fear. kind of a cool thing really. anyhow, i got there about 20 minutes early and as I’m sitting there waiting for the eruption I’m able to hear all of the sounds of the basin.. sizzles and pops from steam vents nearby, the thunderous roar of old faithful heating up, weird sounding birds, coyotes in the distance. even managed to see a shooting star. the stars out here are incredible. milky way for days. i thought i had seen the milky way in hawaii but that was nothing compared here. this park is magic. it’s no wonder it was the first national park established.. sitting out there tonight i couldn’t help but think about the native americans and what they must have felt about this place.
Bonus: Long Exposure of Old Faithful Visitor Center

No comments:

Post a Comment